Thursday, May 14, 2009

Summer Reading Challenge

When I was little, the summer break meant I would leave the house after breakfast and return just before it got dark. I would even eat the mint we grew so I wouldn't have to come in for lunch. I am actually hoping that mint has some kind of major health benefit.

Summer for my children is very different. They are much less free than I was. They can't be; we just don't live in the same world we did back then. Summer means they have free reign in our backyard and that's about it. They are also major wimps when it comes to heat. I can sit outside dripping sweat until I melt away; they can stand only about 10 minutes in 90 degree heat before they are headed inside declaring they are sweating (like it may kill them). This brings me to what they do when they are inside. They like to watch TV, but they get bored with it after awhile; and I really don't like much of what's on. They play and make messes as well. This summer they are going to read. Scholastic has a great challenge for kids to read this summer and log in their minutes for competition. My girls have already begun and they are loving keeping track of their time. I am hoping this will continue through the summer.
If they can't be as free as I wish they could be, maybe their imaginations can be. This summer I hope they go to faraway lands, experience magical adventures, and meet some amazing heroes along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment