Sunday, May 10, 2009

Thankful


Being a mother has changed me completely. I am so different than I was in so many ways. I can appreciate my own mother so much more and other people's mothers too in ways that would have been impossible before. I know the sacrifices made. I know the worry and fear that is involved every time one of your children gets sick or hurt. I know the desire that comes from wanting them to choose the right things. I know the hope to protect them from having their hearts broken or hurt. I don't know many other things though. I am still learning. I have yet to go through many milestones with my children. Today, was our graduation recognition at our church. I always get teary for the parents. If this is the first child to go through this rite of passage, I imagine what the parents must feel. They are about to let their children go. These children who have been with them almost everyday for 18 years, who they have loved more than they imagined possible, are about to move on without them. Scary for all involved. It reminds me that my time with my children in my house everyday is short. I love being a mom. I love having them here each day to teach them and be with them. There are moments, though, when I feel so overwhelmed and so crazy and act opposite than I want to. It is in those moments that I wish I could pause time and remember that all of this, the good, the bad, and the ugly will be gone all too quickly. I am not, nor will I ever be the perfect mom. I do want to always be a grateful, thankful mom. I know that I am blessed far more than I deserve with both the children and family that God has given me. So in this moment let me thank my Mom for loving me with everything in her and always being there for me. All the good that I do with my own children, I learned from her. Thank you too, to my husband's mother. She has a son that knows how to treat a woman; who has a big heart; and who is a great guy. That doesn't just happen on its own.
I am hopeful that my own children will say that they know that I love being their mom; that there is nothing in this world I would rather do; and that I am so grateful for each day with them.
Today, I can sum up how I feel with just one simple word-- THANKFUL!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I'm so glad you are the kind of mother you are...I'm thankful to your mother as well, you are such a beautiful tribute to the investment of her heart and time. I am truly humbled by the gifts that God has put in my life through my children and grandchildren.....it's true that until you become a parent you never know what it feels like to have your heart walking around outside your body.

    ReplyDelete