Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Getting Ready for Summer





It is still not warm here; but having just got back from Florida, I now remember what it is like to be hot. My husband and I went to Disney World for a long weekend, without the children. I know that sounds strange. It is a great place for everybody. You don't have to take the kids! We rode some rides we had always skipped before and went into shops that we had avoided because of little hands and too much breakable stuff. We had a GREAT time. Now, I am home and ready to get ready for summer. Besides the great organization makeover of 2009 that I have planned, I also am wanting to get in shape. Let me preface this to say that this is not an easy thing for me. I am a known yo-yo dieter. The reason this is true is because in order for me to lose weight I have to eat very very little and work my heiney off! This is not an excuse or joke. It is a fact, a sad sad truth that I must live with (poor pitiful me). I have hypothyroidism. My metabolism is basically that of a slug. If I eat more than 1200 calories a day, it is impossible for me to lose weight. So the reason I yo-yo is that I can do this for awhile, but then a holiday or a vacation occurs and where everyone else may gain a pound or two, I will gain 10 or more. Lovely, isn't it? I work out 5 or 6 days a week regardless of whether I am eating the way I should or not. But, I am going to try to eat the way I know I have to. My endocrinologist said, "If you want to be thin you will have to eat very little and exercise a lot." I know getting in shape for summer is basically the goal for every woman everywhere. So, if you would like to join me in this, that would be great. I would say to everyone first, that everybody is different. You really need to talk to your doctor about realistic weight loss, diet, and exercise. What is right for me, is definitely not right for everyone else. There is a great website called Livestrong.com. It has something on it called Daily Plate. I suggest everyone check it out. It is a great tool and it is FREE! I thought I would list some things that I think help when on the quest to get in shape.


  • Pork tenderloin cooked in a crockpot is very low in calories and high in protein and yummy too.
  • Protein shakes with water fill you up and help build and repair muscle
  • Smoothies made with nonfat no sugar yogurt and a bag of frozen berries is very filling and very good for you! A great substitute for a milkshake or bowl of ice cream.
  • Eggs are a great source of protein and actually if cooked with a non-stick spray, they are low in calories too.

  • Great music that makes you want to move will help you move faster and stay motivated while exercising.

  • Eat at home, but measure the portions you are eating. It is really easy to eat more than you thought you were when you're at home.

  • Have a goal date. Not one that is in two weeks, but one that gives you ample time and is something associated with fun. A date night or weekend away are good simple examples.

  • Food diary. Write everything you eat down or put it into the computer on a site like Daily Plate or Calorie Count.

  • Grilled fish and seafood are tasty and low calorie too with lots of protein.

  • Realize that no food is bad or off-limits. You can eat that piece of cake or chocolate or pizza. You just have to eat less of something else. Say you have 1600 calories and you really want a milkshake from Sonic (they can be 1200 calories a serving), you may think of only drinking half or drinking it all and knowing that you will have to cover the rest of the day with the 400 calories you have left.

  • Plan ahead as much as possible.

Do you have any tips? I'd love to hear them. Again, I am no doctor and you should consult yours before starting any fitness or diet plan. What works for one person may or may not work for someone else. My dinner for tonight is pork tenderloin, veggies, and rice. Also, I will be doing Spin class and the elliptical or treadmill for a total workout time of between 75 to 90 minutes tonight. What are your plans?




No comments:

Post a Comment