Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The "R" Word


There are lots of words that our children are not allowed to say. Usually these words are the kind that are rude or potty talk. There are other words, many of which my children have never heard leave my mouth, that they are also not allowed to say. My children have never heard racist words come from anyone in our family. If I ever heard such words come out of their mouths there would be big punishment which would involve hot sauce. We have raised our children to see everyone as a child of God, one just like them for whom Jesus died. They don't believe they are better than anyone else based on the color of someone's skin. I am so glad that they are raised in such a time as this as far as that goes. However, there are words out there that people casually use that are hurtful and offensive. I am not one of those people that wants everybody to be happy and nobody to ever get their feelings hurt. I am not so open-minded that my brain may fall out. I will tell you like it is, but I will not use offensive words to do it. It may hurt, but the truth sometimes does. There are people who are intellectually challenged. They were either born that way or something happened in their lives that diminished some of their mental abilities. Either way, these people did not choose it. Like a person does not choose his or her race. I know many people who have Down syndrome. My life is better because they are in it. I see and interact with many children at my daughter's therapy place who have some degree of mental disability. The thought of someone hurting their feelings breaks my heart. The Special Olympics has started a challenge to stop the use of the word "retard" or the "r" word. There is no room in this world for hurting those with disabilities. Princess H is not what her doctors or therapists would call "retarded", but I have no doubt that some day in the near future, she will be called that by a cruel child. She is a tad slower sometimes than other children. She works so hard in all that she does. For someone to belittle her based on the fact that she was born with something that she has no control over, yet she works so hard to overcome, makes me angry. I hear kids calling each other that as an insult. We parents need to be the ones to let them know this is absolutely unacceptable.
I have included a section from the Special Olympics page about this challenge. They put it far better than I can.
"Most people don’t think of this word as hate speech, but that’s exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and friends. This word is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur.
Spread the Word to End the Word will raise the consciousness of society about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the R-word and encourage people to pledge to stop using it. America will be asked to declare their support for more respectful and inclusive language, specifically that referring to those with intellectual disabilities.
Created by young people with and without intellectual disabilities, Spread the Word to End the Word is one element of Special Olympics’ vision of a world where everyone matters, where everyone is accepted and, most importantly, where everyone is valued. Leading the way in promoting acceptance of people with intellectual disabilities, Special Olympics opposes prejudice and discrimination, continuously working to dispel the negative stereotypes associated with this population — the use of the R-word being one such stereotype."
Maybe, by the time our children are grown up, their children won't know what the "r" word is. Will you join the challenge?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so very much for the post Samantha. I cannot begin to express how much I appreciate you letting me know that your post was inspired by mine today. What a way to come together and draw attention to this pledge, eh? I am so grateful for your willingness to participate. It truly means the world to my family and I. YOU ROCK! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving the heartfelt comment that you did. Happy Tuesday! Blessings to you and yours,

    Angie Seaman
    www.angelicagracedesigns.com/blog/
    www.angieseamanphotography.blogspot.com/
    www.agdprayerblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete