Thursday, March 19, 2009

Homeschool Stuff


Before last year, our bonus room had the dual purpose of school room and play room. Then we thought we were moving and put the desks, bulletin boards, and white boards into storage. For this past school year we have done school in our kitchen. I don't want to move it back to the bonus room because of the carpet. Crayons, markers, play-doh and paint are too much to try to keep off the floor. I dislike it in the kitchen for a number of reasons. My girls get food on their work. We don't have any bulletin boards up. Another thing is that my kitchen stays cluttered, which I cannot stand! So, with the great organizational makeover of 2009 I am looking for a new home of our home school. I am taking over my husband's office. He has a laptop now and doesn't need a whole room. The girls and I use the computer in there anyway. I have started to bring some of our school stuff home from storage. My girls acted like it was Christmas morning when they got the books out of the boxes. I don't know how to arrange it yet. I am not sure I want desks or one big table. I am also contemplating getting rid of the big office desk unit and getting or building a small desk for me. It is all in the planning stages. If anyone out there on the internet has a great idea for this room or knows somewhere I can look at someone else's, I would be so grateful. Princess H will be coming home to start kindergarten in the fall. She has enjoyed the school setting since she was three. I want to mimic that in the good ways. I think the other girls would appreciate that as well. My oldest has her SAT in April. It is for elementary students, but is still a big deal for her. This test will show me what I need to work on over the summer and the beginning of fall or where she is strong and can move ahead. One year, she did fabulous on the whole test except for the science section about the solar system. It was all my fault because that is the most boring subject to me and we read a chapter on it and that was that. We had to go back over it during the summer. This year, due to how huge the unit is in her science book, I imagine that section will be big on this test too. We are just really starting it--yuck! I love pretty much everything else that I get to teach them. It is not always easy or exciting, but most times it is extremely rewarding. I hope you guys have a great day. Tomorrow is the first day of spring!! I am so happy about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment