Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Yard Sales


I have told you all before that I love a good yard sale. There are few things that thrill me more than getting a good deal. I am extremely frugal , but I have very expensive taste. I won't and can't just go out and buy everything I think I "need" or that my kids and I want. A garage sale lets you get many of those want and "need" items quite a bit of the time.
I have two great chairs that I bought for $20 a piece. The family I bought them from said they just didn't fit quite right in their bedroom so they sold them. I hit one yard sale where a lady that had owned a little boutique that had gone out of business was selling all the left over stuff. I got unbelievable things. I got a Christening gown for $4 with the Sarah Louise tags still on it. I have bought two Dooney and Burke purses and one Coach purse for $5 per purse.
But on the days that I get up super early (for me) and drive all over God's green Earth and don't find a single thing, I feel extremely disappointed and sad. This was what happened on Saturday. I was at a neighborhood sale with a few things in mind that I was on the hunt for and any other great deal would have been bonus. I went to one house. The lady there had tons of jeans and scrubs. The jeans she had were my size and one of the brands that I know fits me fairly well. I started to gather them up when I asked her how much. She replied $10 a pair. I put them back. Ten dollars is NOT a yard sale price for any clothing item, with the exception of cocktail and wedding dresses. Next house, lots of adorable children's clothes and shoes. No prices on the clothes. Feeling the competition all around me, I begin to carry the items I want. I ask the lady in charge how much she will charge for all three items. She says, $10. I am concerned that one dress is too small and ask about the length. It is too small. I put it back, "Now how much for the outfit and a pair of Gymboree jeans." She says "$7." I say, "Well what about just the outfit." She says, "$5." "What about just the jeans?" She says, "$4." What? No way. I tell her nevermind.

A word to those who have never had a yard sale. Your prices cannot be like a consignment sale or what you might hope to get on Ebay. Clothes should go between $5 for a full outfit or name brand dress and under. Most items will sell if marked between $1 and .50. Big items like furniture can sell for more. Don't get crazy though, you are not a furniture store. Toys and baby items should be marked fairly low. Baby items and toys are fairly easy to find. If you really would rather sell it than give it away, then the prices should be low enough that a person will feel like they are getting a good deal. Most often if you don't feel like selling it for $3 or less, then you should aim for 10% to 15% of what you paid for it. If at the end of the day, you are going to take it to Goodwill, then you might as well be willing to make a deal. Also, nothing infuriates me more than to be sold something that doesn't work. If it doesn't work, give it away or throw it away. If you think someone will be interested in parts make sure that you clearly tell people that it doesn't work.
I will try again (hopefully) this weekend. I surely hope I will have better luck this time. In the meantime, if you know someone getting ready for a yard sale, educate them. If you are planning on heading to one, I hope you find everything you're looking for.

1 comment:

  1. i know garage sales are tough i had one last spring and i only sold five things, i had to give every thing to good will, well good bye

    ReplyDelete